Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sometimes your good deeds come back to you

Most of the peeps on T.S. know that I have a secondary garage.  I call it my 'bunker'.  Full internet via CAT6 , craptops and a decent old gaming rig.  Oh, and a beverage fridge that I can get to with the headset on.. Big Grin

Anyway to the story.  One of my friends calls me last year and asks if I was still into computers.  I said 'yes' and he replies, 'I'll bring this POS by sometime if you want it.  It was hit by lightening' and sitting on his enclosed porch since.  We spoke a few times after that and it was still the "you want this thing?"  Sure, if nothing else I'll harvest its good parts and trash the unwanted.  I figured it would be an old WIN 95 or XP machine so I was in no hurry to pick it up.  On Friday, I arrive home from work and a desktop PC is sitting in my drive way.   First thing I do is crack open the case and hit it with the air compressor to see what it is.  I swear, 5 years of dryer lint, dust, a small dog and a reptile to be named later was blown out of the box.  Looked like a WW2 smoke screen in the neighborhood had been dropped.  I could have run around 'au naturale'  for at least 10 minutes while the dust settled...<Insert Eye/Mental bleach now if you must>

Sweet case<I'll keep that> multiple fans, all the facilities for liquid cooling very nice!!  Plug it in and its a no go to fire up. Meh, might be xyz fuxored due to the lightening hit. Because I'm lazy tool , I try and jump start it off the said back garage PC power supply.  Still a no go....

Ah hell, lets start pulling all the components out and see what it has in it and what I might save.  So while I am stripping the mobo and throwing components onto the bench I had a realization of  'Rev, you be a dumb ass'.  Yes, I plugged in the 24 pin mobo power supply but forgot the 4 pin.. Stooopid ice hole I is.

So, I throw all the components back in it.  Prolly need some more thermal compound between the heat sink and CPU since I wiped it off, but whomever put it on there must be a fan of bukkake because there was enough thermal paste smeared around to do 8 computers.  F' it will just do it live. I reconnect it to the donor PSU.. correctly this time... and the damn thing fires.  WOO HOOO!!! Smile   Call my friend and say, 'Hey got this thing running, you want it back?'  Typical reply from him 'Na, keep the thing, bitch got a new one'  Cool man, thanks!

Ran to my closet of misfit toys, broken parts and other random crap. Grabbed a old PSU, 20-24 pin adapter, molex to sata power adapter, a sata hard drive that did not rattle and other what not's that I had forgotten about and hooked it up.

Happy ending: Turns out to be a a AMD3+ FX 4100, 3.6 quad core unlocked on a gigabyte mobo ready to be O.C'd. 8gb of DDR3 1333 and a Radeon HD6670 with 1gb on-board.   Sitting on it typing this out now.  Tongue 

So be aware, for the next TDM.  I have a better rig! 100mb down 50 up and my skills still suck...... Free frag count   HA HA...

Thought I'd just share.  Sometimes, things go your way.

Isn't it great when stuff like this happens?  Sure turned out better than expected.  Also, your description of your adventures blowing out the hairy box is great.   Big Grin

Sounds like a good addition to your bunker along with all the craptastic-tops and I look forward to you fraggin' with us soon Bud.  Thanks for sharing the story.
[Image: umV2QRp.gif]